As many have expected, the Haitian President Michel Martelly has not taken into consideration the recommendations of the electoral assessment commission which he established by decree, to help find a solution to the current almost hopeless political situation.

Said commission was installed specifically to investigate allegations of fraud that have marred the last presidential and parliamentary elections, and to make recommendations for a better second round.

Like the President had to announce at least three different dates for the holding of elections in a short time; he found himself in the embarrassment of contradicting himself, this time, by not accepting the recommendation of his own commission whose mission was ostensibly to restore public confidence in the process.

By presidential decree Wednesday, January 6, Martelly officially called the population to the pole, for the second round on January 24. The CEP also announced that it will conduct the presentation of certificates parliamentarians today. This will allow a sitting parliament to proceed with the presidential inauguration on February 7.

Michel Martelly's decision to go ahead with the election process with the same CEP is very worrisome.

In its report, the Commission clearly warned: "The electoral council no longer has the credibility that will allow it to continue the process without the risk of plunging the country into an even deeper crisis."

The confidence of the population in this CEP is nonexistent, its members are involved in too many serious allegations of fraud which have so far proved their worth, but Haitian authorities have not proceeded with official investigations, arguing that the Constitution of Haiti does not give anyone the power to remove a member of the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP).
While this may be true, it's different for fraud. The Haitian Supreme Court has the legal authority and can remove members who, in fact, accepted bribes for political favors.

CEP members like the famous Yolette Mengual, should face a court.

It is relatively easy to subpoena any banking institution so they can provide all the data on financial transactions, showing who and when the money was deposited in their accounts.

 But there is no will on the part of the government.

Thus, the country continues on the path of uncertainty. The political climate is still tense, but if all political actors come together, they could salvage the process and prevent the country from making such a constitutional defect: Inability to have a new president in power on February 7, as required by the constitution.

The electoral adviser Ricardo Augustine Provisional Electoral Council Treasurer (CEP), yesterday presented his resignation to the head of state.

Moreover, Jude Célestin, the candidate whom the results presented have placed in second place, has not said if he will participate in the second round. He has remained silent.

 Through statements by G8 members, a coalition of eight presidential candidates, including Jude Celestin; we know that the installation of a new CEP is one of their demands and conditions to participate.