Posted by hougansydney.com on Sunday, April 16, 2017 Under: Human Rights
Haitian social organizations on Friday rejected the installation of a new United Nations mission in Haiti following the global's organization's decision to end the current mission (Minustah) in October after 13 years of operation.
The new mission "will not improve anything, we call on the UN to leave the country permanently," said Oxygen David, one of the coalition's representatives.
"We grassroots organizations are going to continue the fight on every cholera case." The epidemic was triggered by a spillage of fecal waste into a river by Nepalese forces and is estimated to have affected some 800,000 people and has claimed more than 10,000 lives.
Mario Joseph, one of the lawyers for the cholera victims who sued the UN in United States courts, said that if the United Nations really "wants to support human rights, it can start to respect the law and compensate the country and the victims" of the disease.
The pledge of $400 million which the United Nations has made under Secretary General Ban Ki moon, to compensate victims and fund Haiti's potable water infrastructures remains grossly underfunded to say the least. Only a little of $2 million have been raised so far.
The 15 members of the United Nations Security Council on Thursday approved a resolution extending for a final period of six months the operation of the UN Mission for Stabilization in Haiti (MINUSTAH), as recommended by the Secretary-General , António Guterres.
Resolution 2250 decreed that the military component of the Minustah should be gradually reduced in the coming months to complete its "full withdrawal" no later than October 15.
Currently, Minustah has about 2,370 "blue helmets" and about 2,600 police.
The operation will have a small successor, named MINUJUSTH, which will focus on supporting the Haitian police, promoting the rule of law and monitoring respect for human rights.
This new mission will not have military personnel and will be much smaller, comprising a maximum of seven police units and 295 agents.
The Security Council approved giving it an initial mandate of six months, between October of this year and April of 2018.
The new Haitian government headed by President Jovenel Moise and Prime Minister Jack Guy Lafontant, is also in favor of a gradual withdrawal in the next six months, as well as the smaller peacekeeping operations that would follow.
In : Human Rights