Posted by Alterpresse on Sunday, October 2, 2016 Under: Weather
Haitian authorities have decreed this October 2nd, the level red alert and banned all cabotage operations as Matthew, the powerful hurricane category 4, is approaching the coast of the country, informs the Permanent Secretariat of Risk Management and disasters (SPGRD).
The areas most exposed to the violent intensity of extreme impact of the hurricane are those of the South, which could receive heavy rain and strong winds with risks of landslides, high waves, landslides and flooding.
The whole country could generally be affected by the phenomenon, warns the National Meteorological Center (CNM).
Matthew has a strong ability rainfall of 200 to 300mm in the plains and more than 300mm on the heights. These accumulations of rainfall during the hurricane between 2nd and 4th of October could cause severe flooding, flows of important sludge and lightning floods al over the country, but especially on the southern departments of Nippes, the Grande-anse, Southeast and West.
The SPGRD together with the CNM and Maritime Service and Navigation of Haiti (SEMANAH) prohibits all cabotage operations in coastal areas to and from particular countries on the south coast and the Gulf of Gonâve until further notice.
* Stay tuned for Meteorological bulletins
* Follow instructions issued by local authorities.
* Put in a safe place important papers.
* Prepare food kits.
* Do not go to sea, avoid the beaches and safeguard boats.
* Secure all that can be carried by the wind and which are outside the house, trash, tools, posters, lamps, decorative bulbs.
* Take down any heavy object placed high; antennas, signs ....
* Prepare to evacuate the areas exposed to floods and landslides (seaside, gullies, rivers, mountain slopes, etc.).
* Avoid areas subject to flooding and landslides (seaside, gullies, rivers, mountain slopes, etc.).
* Do not cross rivers in spate under any circumstances.
* Do not shelter near windows and wooded area.
In : Weather