Oxfam faces new allegations of sexual misconduct in Haiti following 2010 earthquake

March 17, 2018
Image result for Raphael Mutiku

The British-based charity attempted to "contain" sexual harassment allegations involving Raphael Mutiku, who led Oxfam's installation of water supplies after the 2010 earthquake, according to an internal report seen by The Times newspaper.

The documents claim to show a final written warning was issued to Mutiku, a Kenyan in his 40s, in June 2010, following accusations of sexual harassment from female colleagues.

However, six months later when it was alleged that the engineer was paying young women for sex at his Oxfam accommodation, his manager at the aid agency's UK headquarters is reported to have said he hoped the charity could "contain this" and it seemed Mutiku was "not being discreet".

Oxfam has confirmed the decision not to dismiss Mutiku was made by Roland van Hauwermeiren -- the then country director who was recently at the heart of the aid worker sex scandal.

How the Director of Oxfam in 2011, used donated money for the earthquake to pay for underage prostitutes in Haiti and "orgies"

The Times said Mutiku had "strenuously" denied paying prostitutes. He was sacked in 2011 following an internal investigation.

"The behaviour of some former Oxfam staff working in Haiti following the 2010 earthquake was completely unacceptable," an Oxfam spokeswoman said in a statement.

"We are very sorry for what happened."

The statement said the decision "not to sack Raphael Mutiku in 2010 was wrong," and Van Hauwermeiren "was himself guilty of sexual misconduct. His decision making was therefore compromised".

Oxfam said it had since introduced a confidential whistleblowing hotline and had this week announced new standards to improve referencing, and had appointed the co-chairs of an independent commission reviewing its culture and practices.

"We are committed to continue to do all we can to help the millions of people every year affected by humanitarian disasters and to improve the lives of those living in poverty," the spokeswoman said.

Made public last month, Oxfam's 2011 report into the behaviour of aid workers sent to Haiti following the earthquake revealed that Van Hauwermeiren admitted to paying for sex and that three staff physically threatened a witness.

Four staff were fired for gross misconduct and three others, including Van Hauwermeiren, were allowed to quit.

Two Haitian Senators, including former Senate's President, ask for International help in shedding lights on the use of PetroCaribe funds

March 16, 2018
Related image
 Senator Youri Latortu, former President of Haitian Senate.)

Senators Youri Latortue, ally of Tèt Kale (kreyol nickname for the Haitian President's party), former advisor to President Michel Martelly, author of the report on the use of the PetroCaribe fund, and Evalière Beauplan, an opposition senator charged with deepening this report, appealed to the helping the international community track down PetroCaribe's money. The State must seek international cooperation to trace PetroCaribe's mone...

Continue reading...

Haitian President received in audience, U.N Deputy Secretary General

March 16, 2018
Image result for Jovenel Moise and Jean-Pierre Lacroix, UN Deputy Secretary General

Last Wednesday, Haitian President, Jovenel Moise, received in audience, Mr. Jean-Pierre Lacroix, Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations for Peacekeeping Operations, who carried a message from the Secretary-General, Mr. António Gutteres.

The audience was held in a very cordial atmosphere. Deputy Secretary-General Lacroix informed the Haitian President of the Secretary-General Guterres' message that relations between Haiti and the United Nations be normalized, following the respective r...

Continue reading...

Tensions in Pedernales will not affect the relations between Haiti and the Dominican Rep. Said Dominican Foreign Minister

March 16, 2018

The Dominican Government affirmed that the murder of a couple blamed on two Haitians brothers in Pedernales (southwest), which provoked an angry reaction of the citizens of that border city, will not affect the bilateral relations with Haiti.

This was expressed by the Dominican Foreign Minister, Miguel Vargas Maldonado, describing the event as an "isolated event", similar to that which occurred in Spain with the murder of the child Gabriel Cruz, of whom the Dominican Ana Julia Quezada has conf...

Continue reading...

Breaking News: Haiti's Foreign Ministry denounces attempted lynching of diplomat by Dominicans near Pedernales

March 16, 2018
Image result for Antonio rodrigue

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informs the public in general, and the press in particular, that since February 19, there is a situation of tension at the border between the Republic of Haiti and the Dominican Republic, especially on the side Anse-a-Pitre / Pedernales. This situation follows the death of a Dominican citizen who was murdered by a Haitian citizen during an altercation between the latter and a Dominican couple. The wife of the Dominican citizen was herself dead at the hospital ...

Continue reading...

[update] Now, the Haitian government claims there is no extradition treaty with Dominican Rep, while Dominican officials said they already have 1 of the accused brothers

March 15, 2018
Image result for Antonio rodrigue

Yesterday Haitian Police said that they had custody of the brothers accused of murder in the Dominican Republic, and they handed them over to Dominican authorities. Today, the Haitian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Antonio Rodrigue, after the scandal that announcement made, in an appearance before the press reminded that “unfortunately there is no extradition treaty between the two countries.” However Dominican authorities are claiming that they managed to get the delivery of one the brothe...

Continue reading...

All the High Chief of Staff members appointed by President Jovenel Moise to head army, were part of military group that ran notorious death squad in Haiti in the 1990s

March 15, 2018
Image result for raboteau massacre

(VHS tapes of testimonies during the Raboteau Massacre trial in 2000)

No one knows what to make of the six men Haitian President Jovenel Moise decided to pick as head of his supposedly reconstituted army.

The recently appointed High Chief of Staff by the Haitian President, to head the reconstituted army, is causing major controversies in Haiti, due to the pasts of the members as high ranking generals in a military force under Raoul Cedras in the 1990s which ran a death squad in the country. 


Continue reading...

The U.S Coast Guard intercepted a boat carrying more than 200 Haitian immigrants

March 15, 2018

The US coast guard announced Wednesday that on Monday, March 12th, they intercepted a boat carrying more than 200 Haitian immigrants, off the coast of the Bahamas, heading for the United States.

The desperate immigrants were taken aboard the U.S coast guard ship, where they were given food, water and medical attention before they were brought back to Haiti.

 It has been years, since such a large number of Haitian immigrants, in one unseaworthy boat, have tried to reach the United States.

U.S imm...

Continue reading...

Dominican border army seized more than 2.500 pounds of garlic from Haiti

March 15, 2018

Staff of the Dominican republic border army has seized 2.596 pounds of garlic, distributed in 118 sacks of 22 pounds each, which they say was smuggled from Haiti, because the plants “bulbs seem of foreign origin.”

The merchandise, which was transported in an unmarked white Ford Explorer, was seized in the municipality of Moncion, after the occupants of the vehicle fled the scene as armed patrols spotted them, leaving behind the car with the garlics inside.

Dominican officials say that more...

Continue reading...

Haiti and the Dominican Republic don't have an extradition treaty, but Haiti's Police handed over to Dominicans two Haitian brothers alleged in murders anyways

March 14, 2018
Image result for tensions in pedernales

Following the announcement of the Haitian National Police, that it has handed over to Dominican authorities two Haitian brothers, who have been accused of murders in the Dominican Republic, questions are arising about the legal basis these men where delivered to the neighboring country, since Haiti doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the Dominican Republic.

Yesterday, Tuesday, March 13, violence and chaos erupted in the Dominican border town, Pedernales, after residents of that town gave...

Continue reading...
eXTReMe Tracker