Breaking News: Haitian President calls on Nicaragua to guarantee the safety of Haitian Women U-17 soccer team as the Central American country's crisis degenerates

Posted by hougansydney.com on Monday, April 23, 2018 Under: Haiti Breaking News



Haitian President, Jovenel Moise is calling on Nicaraguan authorities to guarantee the safety of the Haitian Women U-17 soccer team, currently in Nicaragua, representing Haiti at the 2018 CONCACAF Women’s U-17 Championship, shortly after CONCACAF announced the cancellation of this year’s championship games due the degenerating political climate in Nicaragua.

“While wishing for a good outcome to the crisis in Nicaragua, I recommend that the authorities of that country make every effort to protect the Haitian delegation that is in their territory. Our chancery remains informed of the situation for all appropriate measures." Said President Jovenel Moise on a Twitter post, Sunday night.


President Moise was also informed by the Haitian Football Federation, that for safety concerns, the Haitian delegation was moved from a Hilton Hotel to the Barcelo in Managuana, and that everything was being done to get them back to Haiti safely as soon as possible.

For nearly a week Nicaragua has been paralyzed by an unprecedented political crisis. The Red Cross said at least seven people had died and hundreds had been injured in the demonstrations, while a local human rights organisation said it had registered 25 deaths, including a journalist who was shot and killed during a live TV broadcast on Saturday. Graphic footage of the incident soon spread onto local and social media, angering anti government protesters even more.

The protests began on Wednesday over plans to increase worker contributions to social security and lower pensions, and some stores in Managua were looted over the weekend, witnesses said.

In : Haiti Breaking News 



eXTReMe Tracker