MUPANAH

The National Museum of Haiti, better known by its French acronym MUPANAH, is located at the Champ de Mars just two block where the now destroyed Presidential Palace used to be.
 

The Museum is one of the very few public structures that remained intact after the 2010 Earthquake that rocked Haiti and destroyed downtown Port-au-Prince among other places. Many credits its underground construction as the reason.



 The Museum first opened in 1983, and is home to some artifacts that are of extreme value, including the anchor of Santa Maria, the ship that Christopher Columbus used on his quest to the discoveries of the American Continent.


 The Gold crown encrusted with diamonds and ruby that Faustin Soulouque, Haiti's King from 1847 to 1858 used as part of his garments; the silver Gun that King Henry Christophe used to commit suicide at the Sans Souci Palace in 1820; one of the sword that Jean Jacques Dessalines, Haiti's father of Independence used during the Batailles de Vertieres in 1803, the last battle that resulted in Haiti's Independence; Haiti's original Act of Independence, and countless of high valued paintings, and natives artifacts dated back to as early as the 1400's; many torture instruments that French masters used to punish slaves, are displayed at the MUPANAH.


 At the entrance of the museum, the remains of Toussaint L'Ouverture which was returned to Haiti by France is also found there. Filming and picture taking devices are not allowed inside of the museum.